Soccer fans are counting down to watch the Fifa world cup games in Brazil. When there is passion about the game there is passion about everything that goes with it: the jerseys, logo, mascot, arena and etc.
I’ve asked a couple of people what there thoughts are about the logo and most think it doesn’t look professional. Yes the hands create a soccer ball and the trophy overall but they seem very cartoonish and alien like.
The concept is good but the execution could have been better. They have chosen colors of the flag and have a playful font which is in harmony with the design- which is very important. The gradients are chosen well, they aren’t very drastic.
Lets take a trip down memory lane:
- Argentina: Clean but not very powerful
- Spain: Simple and direct
- Mexico: Busy (yes it was the 80’s trend)
- Italy: Fun?
- USA: simple -maybe too simple? Adding variety to the strokes may have increased visual interest…
- France: Sorry why is there a water puddle?
- Korea: Fancy and majestic, does not obviously represent soccer
- Germany: It looks like a cartoon created by Japanese artists, irrelevant to soccer
- Africa: There is a lot going on, I would prefer it to be simplified more
I think the winner I chose is Italy! VIVA ITALIA!
But hey compared to the older FIFA logos, I think Brazil did a good job. Right?
Now lets look at these mascots:
We have an orange, lions, a stick figure, dog, some random dudes…
Drum roll please, here is mascot 2014: